The size of this bed is a common standard for the measurement of room sizes.
Most commonly, someone looking to buy a new bed will measure out their bedroom and compare the measurements to what is available in stores or online.
When buying sheets and other decorative items for the bed, someone may also want to know this information.
- It is also known as the “full-size bed” and is typically 4 feet wide by 6 feet long. Although this measurement is used for small single beds, it can often be found in larger sizes, such as a double bed or queen size bed.
- It has been referenced since the early 1800s where it was originally called a full-size bed.
At this time, the standard double bed size was 4 feet wide by 5 1/2 feet long before eventually becoming the current size common today in many parts of the United States and Canada, including most small bedrooms in hotels (such as Holiday Inn or Hilton).
What is the correct width for a Double Bed?
In the last 20 years, the width of the bed is 4ft 6in (140cm).
The standard bed length for the bed is 6ft, although it can be bought in any size up to 8ft.
It is also worth pointing out that a single bed has no fixed width or length, so you should always check the dimensions carefully before buying a single bed.
Choosing the right sheet
Many people buy a flat sheet and then struggle to fit it around the mattress once they have made up the bed.
This is usually because they fail to account for the thickness of the mattress when measuring their sheets, which can result in having to fold excess fabric over each side of the mattress and tuck it under to get a proper fit.
An easier method of measuring your sheets is by measuring the mattress directly.
A large number of bed types are available from a range of different suppliers. Still, those beds aimed at the wholesale market for businesses will inevitably be more expensive than alternatives found in stores or online.
When purchasing a new bed, consumers should consider how much they are willing to spend on their purchase, if they need extra space, and whether an item with additional features may be worth the extra cost.
The average price for a standard bed is around £300, although beds with specific attributes may be more expensive than this.
Bed sizes and dimensions
- Small Single bed size: 3 ft 6in wide x 6 ft long (90 cm x 183 cm)
- Double/Full bed size: 4 ft 6in wide x 6 ft long, although modern styles are now available in widths up to 5 feet and a length of 7 foot
- Super King size bed: 5 feet wide and 6 ft long or 5 feet wide x 7 feet long, depending on the manufacturer. (135 x 190 cm long)
- Standard King size bed: 4 ft 6in wide by either 6 ft long (183 cm) or 7 foot long (213 cm).
Mattress size guide
There is no difference in bed and mattress size between a single or double bed; one fits into the other; however, many suppliers will cut them to size for you, which is worth checking when buying.
Most good-quality bed retailers can supply mattresses by request for most sizes of beds.
You will not be able to buy a mattress with much space for your full bed; the same size supplied to you will be perfect. One thing that can vary slightly is mattress depth (how thick it is).
The standard UK bed mattress depths are:
- Single 3ft 6ins deep or 4ft wide at 13 ins
- Double mattress/King 4ft deep
- Super King 5ft deep
If you have purchased a divan bed, then the mattress depth will most likely be within the range of 12 ins to 15 ins.
You can measure your divan base to ensure if you are not sure.
Bed frames in the UK
To be safest, you should measure the length and width of your bed to ensure that any frame you are looking at will fit.
Most double beds are four feet wide by six feet long, so if you have a metal or wooden bed frame that is either 4ft 6in or 6ft in length, this will be perfect for your bed.
The width of most double beds is 4ft 6in, so if you have a divan base, it will be 3ft wide by 6ft long – again, this frame will be perfect for your new mattress.
If you already have a metal bed frame or headboard and footboard that is 4ft wide, then four feet in length will also be the correct size for your bed.
Mattress sizes vs. frame sizes
It is essential to buy a mattress that fits snugly in the frame you have selected for it.
If it is too big, the bed will be unbalanced and uncomfortable, and the mattress may slip out of place when used.
Likewise, if your mattress size is a small one, not fit for your bed frame, then you could find yourself sleeping nearer to one end than the other, or you might “fall out” of bed during the night.
If you are buying a mattress that is made to measure, always ensure that your chosen frame will take it comfortably before purchasing.
1) Your new mattress needs to fit in both width and length terms within your bed frame dimensions; otherwise, you could end up with a poorly fitting bed and be uncomfortable at night;
2) If you are looking for a bed frame to fit your mattress, check your size mattress’s dimensions first before looking at styles or colors.
Is a full-size mattress big enough for two adults?
Some manufacturers are calling 5′ x 7′ size is a super king bed-size mattress.
This is actually incorrect, the width should x 4 feet 6 inches long, not 5 feet, and the length should be x 6’6, not 7 feet.
Some websites list these sizes as different products, and others call this size is a ‘King Size.’
Either way, they do not fit properly on a full-size bed even though now most double beds and mattresses are also 4’6 x 6’3 wide.
Are full-size mattresses the same as double beds?
In the chart of sizes UK, a double bed is 4 feet 6 inches wide and 6 feet long.
Although modern ranges such as Ercol use 3′ or 4′ widths to keep costs down, so you may find that the mattress is not exactly 4 foot 6 inches on these beds.
The length of a bed should be 6 feet 3 inches long, although most manufacturers will make them slightly shorter than that to comply with UK regulations on box spring height.
- The difference between a double bed and a mattress of full size is the depth of the product, allowing for more comfort, supportive layers, and innerspring, providing better quality mattresses.
- A full-size mattress will be 3’6″ inches deep – this allows for easy access around the bed for making, changing, and washing.
- On a double bed, you need to leave space for someone else to get in or out of bed, which leaves only 3′ around each side – just enough space to get past comfortably if pushed up against the wall, but not much more than that.
A double bed is still the most popular choice of a bed for people who live in the UK.
Some people prefer to have more room surrounding them when they are sleeping, so choose king-size beds, although if you do not have enough room for this, then a double can be just as suitable.